Thursday, June 7, 2007

What Stinks?



Tone Set was a monophonic synth pop duo from Phoenix Arizona. Formed by Galen Herod and Greg Horn in 1981, they released their CALIBRATE EP in 1983. It contained key tracks from their earlier cassette “CAL’S RANCH” (which I will post when I start converting My Cassettes) & newer material. The song “Out Out” was a regional hit in both Phoenix & L.A. It is a funky riff with vocal samples taken from an old “GOMER PYLE” episode where SGT. Carter is bitching out Gomer for smelling like a fag or something. When I lived in Scottsdale, the band had a weekly residency at a bar (Anderson’s 5th Estate) a few blocks from my house. I would walk down & check them out almost every week. They had a novel stage show for the time. As they would play, a video backdrop would show cut-up found footage that was in sync to the music. Both Galen & Greg worked at local TV stations & had access to pro video editing equipment that gave their show a tight look. After they broke up, they both released some good solo cassettes that I will also post at some time in the future.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There was a video for "Life Is Busy". I saw it on the Showtime channel once in the 80s. Please tell me there's a copy out there.

Anonymous said...

Could u please re-up this synth gem!
~UU~

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this information. I remember this song and enjoyed it as a teen. Thanks for helping me find it.